Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Not doing nothing

It was one of these days where you just sit there checking eMail, checking Digg, checking BBC news. It was like that, but ten billion brazillian times worse over, because I didn't even try to pretend like I was accomplishing anything. I literally sat there all day browsing the web, with a not well deserved break for lunch. I feel so guilty.

Once, we lost our internet access for a week and it was amazing. I would come into my room, start to turn on my computer and then stop when it hit me in the head that there wasn't any bloody thing to be doing with that. No idle wandering. I got so much done, and did so much. What a shame a weakness for the web is so stuffed down deep into my head and hands. Though, I ain't yet tried the drastic measure of deliberately forcing myself away from it. I'm usually pretty confident my head'll sort things out without me intervening.

*****

Turangalila came, and it's pretty intimidating. 78 minutes of extreme, ultra-expansive bangs and whines and polymelodic stuff absolutely everywhere. Someone described it as Ravel and Stravinsky trying to outdo each other, and Boulez - Messiaen's student - called it a bordello. After listening to it a couple times through I like the fifth movement, and the first, but that's about as far as I am right now. Everything else sounds like a non-sequitur. I'm not sure if this one is going to work out, but I hope it does, it's one of these pieces I really want to like.

No comments: