Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Neatly wrapped gifts

MUCH more productive today. Even then, that's like saying that.... well what's a really clever and incisive example to shove in here? It's like saying that mice are - err - much, much smaller... than, um, rats? Oh Christ, that's an awful analogy. Screw it, forget it, maybe I shouldn't be all autobiography and instead be attempting to provide some actual, quality, content. More musical thoughts? That seems to be my defaulty direction.

I define my days in symphonies.

Well, along with Turangalila, which is disturbing me further the more I listen, I've been broadening my education and exposure to some warhorses, as all the cool classical kids call 'em. Tchaikovsky 6, Beethoven 6 and 7, even a touch of Mahler, since I'm supposed to love him after my Shosty worship.

When I first started listening to the good stuff, when I had my classical revelation (I wish I could remember the exact day... it must have been before June in 2003, and probably a few months before, since I was still on speaking terms with s certain someone) Beethoven seemed way too large and Romantic, like too much overbearing sound. Besides, the fact that everybody and their dog went (and goes) on and on about how great he was, served to put me off. I like being an exclusive little piglet, rummaging and rollicking in the stuff the others don't see.

Relistening back to Beethoven recently he seems so - straightforward, compared to Shosty, Sergei P., and the others I mostly lapsed myself into. His pieces are like neatly wrapped gifts, with all things in their proper places; the themes are embroidered ribbons running through and around each other, but (what a revelation) identifiable after almost the first listen. Also, the orchestra seems so small compared to the overpowering instrumental forces I had remembered. I suppose I must have become much more comfortable with the sound of a full set of instruments. Fancy that, real musical growth, I need some gold stars stat.

I'm hoping - and it seems stupendously, superbly likely - that I have a huge stack of stuff to get out of Beethoven, but in a different kind of direction to what I've become used to.

I'm looking forward to the journey. Isn't isn't wonderful how music bends you in so many different directions?

No comments: