Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Peering my own pressure

I just caved in as usual to the glorious bounty of Amazon's used CD store thingy. I have a wishlist about twenty miles long, and after a bit of a browsing sesh with those illusively outfading thirty second snippets I'm always suckered into buying a new (but used) CD. The average price seems to be about six bucks, low enough to not be much more than a negligible little peck on my credit card.

Today I got got by the Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony. I heard the end on NPR, back a bit ago, and it reminded me of Prokofiev's Symphony No. 2, with it's mechaniqueness. It's a bit cheeky coz I know my mum n stepdad are getting me some CD's for xmas (since that's all I asked for. aside from subscriptions to MAKE and CRAFT), buuuut I'm not going to open them until then, and that's four weeks away..... sooo, that's probably alright... See how I sneakily alleviate my guilt?

Today seems to be a music-inciting-guilt kinda trip. I also snuck off for an hour during "churning away in lab" time and went to the Shostakovich section in the music library, to read about his symphony 15. The book I was grabbed by most by the end claimed that the structure of the last movement is structurally almost identical to the 13th String Quartet. I dunno how much I agree with that. I think it's way more like the last movement of the 2nd Cello Concerto. In fact, the whole symphony seems to have lots in common with both the CC's, which is interesting since originally the 2nd was going to be a symphony.

I wish I could understand musical scores properly.

No comments: